Working with engravable wood
Wood as a material is now more popular than ever. The natural and pleasant appearance make engraving wood a favourite material for timeless applications and uses. Trotec selects the best possible aspects of the laser wood so that the natural characteristics and quality of the wood are carefully retained.
Advantages of Trotec engravable laser wood:
- High quality appearance with an authentic look and feel
- Homogeneous wooden structure
- Thin oiled finish for surface protection
- Trotec laser wood sheets are optimised for laser bed sizes
The Trotec engraving wood products are specially selected for laser wood applications. Both the natural wood as well as the MDF and laserable plywood sheet alternatives allow for fine detail cutting and marking with a laser. Learn how to determine engraving parameters for solid wood and veneers and read important tips for perfect engraving results on solid wood, veneers and plywood.
Laser wood can be engraved and cut using CO2 lasers with excellent results, and is frequently used as a material for model making and for structural elements. It is also a popular material for the production of personalised gifts, product displays and high quality design components.
- To achieve a good colour contrast with wood, a Z-offset of approx. 2mm is helpful. Higher Z-Offset values result in higher contrasts. Otherwise, if you want a fine detailed engraving result, reduce the engraving speed (around 20%) and use a Z-offset of maximum 2mm.
- Do not use a lot of laser power if you want to achieve a white engraving result
- When engraving wood, if the engraving result is weak at the edge, increase the correction value to rectify this
- For better engraving and cutting results, a good suction is helpful. To increase the suction place the wood in the laser and cover the rest of the table with a suitable material such as paper
Our engraving wood products are natural wood sheets, meaning that they could look and react a little different every time they are processed. To find the right laser parameters, we suggest to make a test matrix prior to processing. See how it works in our tutorial and download the graphic template. This is the fastest and easiest way to achieve best results when engraving wood.
For cleaning, a little water; a damp cloth with a drop of detergent is usually enough to remove dirt.
- Use a wood glue
- Thoroughly clean and then dry the sides before bonding.
- Ensure you don't use too much adhesive, it may ooze out and affect the result
We recommend that you allow time for the engraving wood to acclimatise to its new environment before processing.
Ideally maintain in an area with constant temperature and humidity.